1. adjustments of your hearing aids
During the delivery of the hearing aids, the audioprosthetist performs very precise adjustments to your hearing aids in order to adapt them to your hearing. He also ensures that the tip fits correctly in your ear. Then, he performs certain quality tests in order to test the adjustments and to confirm the prosthetic choice with you.
2. prosthetic education : for the best adaptation to your hearing aids :
The last stage of the fitting, the prosthetic education, is when the audioprosthetist or audiopedagogue [hearing educator] gives you advice to help you to adjust to your new hearing aid. He or she will work with you, so that you rediscover sounds which were inaudible because of your loss. The period of time necessary for this adjustment will vary according to your loss, but also according to your motivation. We will also show you how to handle your hearing aid, clean it and change the batteries. We will give you a maintenance kit of products that are necessary to ensure the optimal operation of your hearing aids.
3. Post-prothetic appointment
Once the hearing aids are installed and adjusted, the audioprosthetist will set up an appointment in the following 3 weeks to go over your adaptation. During this period, you will be invited to bring notes to report any issues which you consider significant to your audioprosthetist, even if the appointment is further in time.
Recommendations to optimized your adaptation to your hearing aids :
Slowly but surely, step by step, you will adjust to wearing your hearing aids. This adjustment is a learning process that requires motivation. The following four Golden Rules will help you make the transition smoothly:
- Use your hearing aids regularly
- Learn to recognize and enjoy sounds again
- Be patient
- Slowly, progressively, but surely, you will succeed
The first days are the most difficult. After the initial adjustment period, you will be increasingly satisfied with your hearing aids. Keep your sense of humour and use your imagination. It is important to keep the following points in mind:
- Remember that hearing is only one component of the communication process;
- Different people have different levels of endurance. Some can use their hearing aids all day without any rest periods;
- Be realistic about what your hearing aids can and cannot do. Talk to your audioprosthetist about your expectations.
We are here to help you. Call us whenever you need assistance. We can serve you better if you put your trust in us. We want to help you use your hearing aids to correct your hearing loss, so that you can lead an active life.