The professionals

Groupe Forget, Audioprosthetists, works closely with other hearing health professionals: the audioprosthetists, oto-rhino-laryngologists, audiologists and speech language pathologists.


The audioprosthesist is the health care professional responsible for selling, fitting, adjusting and replacing hearing aids. Once a certificate attesting to the necessity of a hearing aid has been issued by a doctor, a speech language therapist or an audiologist, the patient will be referred to an audioprosthetist. He or she helps ensure patients adapt to hearing aids or assistive listening devices, as well as re-adapt to a world of rediscovered sounds and communication. The audioprosthetist works in close collaboration with other health care professionals such as, doctors, oto-rhino-laryngologists (E.N.T. ear, nose and throat) doctors, audiologists and speech language therapists, as well as with the patient’s relatives and friends.


The oto-rhino-laryngologist (ORL or ENT) – cervical-facial surgeon, is a physician specialized in diseases affecting the head and neck, and more specifically the ears, nose and throat. His or her role is to diagnose and provide required medical and surgical treatment. The ENT doctor also addresses problems related to balance and vertigo.


The audiologist is a health professional who evaluates and helps prevent a person’s auditive inabilities. He or she identifies the limitations related to deafness and assists the person and his/her entourage in developing communication strategies and any other means of substitution. He or she supports people with tinnitus helping them cope with their difficulty. The audiologist can also evaluate and follow children, sometimes as early as 8 months old, whether it concern peripheral or central hearing. The audiologist cooperates with the audioprosthesist to identify and try to solve the problems associated with hearing loss. He or she attests the need for hearing aids and recommends the assistive listening devices within the framework of governmental programs (Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec, CSST, Veterans, etc).

Speech language therapist:

The speech language therapist is a health care professional trained in the field of human communication disorders. He or she evaluates and diagnoses speech disorders (articulation, stuttering, etc), language disorders (dysphasia, laryngectomy, etc), disorders of the oropharyngial function (dysphagia), and language delay whether or not associated to handicaps or deficiencies.